24 February 2012

Sacramento Autorama 2012 2/17/12-2/19/12

The Sacramento Autorama is one of Northern California's last big indoor car shows, and what a show it was. This year was back with a vengeance, the Club Room was open again and packed with tons of great cars and killer robots (that's right, courtesy of the Sacramento Poor Boys Car Club and this year's "futurama" theme). The suede room, where I spent most of my weekend was so full of awesomeness that it overflowed into the Expo Center parking lot.


I've really come to appreciate these annual shows as much more than just a gathering of cars, they're more like a time stamp on the year. The human aspect of the Autorama is hard to explain, and impossible to photograph. It's great to see my friends grow up, start families, build new cars, and win trophies. This show feels like a community. Maybe it's because we're all stuck on neutral territory for so long that we run out of things to talk about besides cars so the only thing left to talk about is real life. I love this show, I love watching it grow, and I love spending time with the people that make it so memorable. This year's Autorama felt even more special to me because after nearly a year away from shows all together after her recent diagnosis with MS, my wife was back with me in the booth. That makes all the difference; shows like these are so much better when you get to share them with someone you love.

Anyways, here's our pictures! If you detect a new perspective in them, that's Josie's eye, she took all the good ones this time:


Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Congratulations to Drew!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This car was the absolute highlight of the show for me. I am, of course, biased-- the builder, Walt Hughes, has been a friend for years. This kid (kid- he's my age) has worked like crazy to get where he is now, and I'm so happy for him. Not that long ago Walt actually worked at a job that required him to mop mayonaise from a hot shipping container, and pretty soon after that he decided to get serious and build cars like he had always dreamed. He started out sweeping floors at Frank De Rosa's shop (for free, mind you), and he's worked his way up enough to have his own little shop and he's turning out his own killer work. Art Himsl painted the car too, in some crazy blue ice pearl. Now, that would be impressive no matter what, but at Autorama this year Walt (And owners Ron & Karen) took home TWO TROPHIES- One for Outstanding Sports and one for First Place Class (Custom Sport, I believe). Walt poured his blood, sweat and tears into this, and I'm so happy for him to get some recognition for it. Someone my age to go from rattle-canning a car in our driveway a few years ago to winning his class at the Autorama is a really awesome thing to see, I wish him the best of luck in the future. 

Photobucket
Photobucket

Killer display:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
ROBOTS!!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
The Imperial Owners Club had a really impressive showing. I could have geeked out on them for hours:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket
Photobucket
The Suede Room 2012:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Upstairs was really impressive, and I think at least 80% owned by James Hetfield...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hell yes:

Photobucket
Honestly, all the cars, all the awards, and all of the show would be meaningless without the company of my wife. I've missed her the past show season, and now I appreciate our time together just that much more.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket





3 comments:

Recent Posts