05 October 2011

RIP Steve Jobs (Updated)


Before, when I said "it's hard to put to words for how this makes me feel", that was a total cop out. I'll try. Doing so will inevitably out me as a total nerd, but if you can see the value in an electronic web-based platform for sharing pictures and thoughts across the world in an instant, I'd ask you to consider yourself one as well. It's ok, you're in good company.

I never met Jobs personally. I've been a Mac user all my life, I learned to type on an Apple II at my elementary school, my family bought the Performa when it became apparent that we needed a computer in the house. My Dad, who was never really a "gadget" guy once brought home a Newton, which was a device way ahead of it's time, and the obvious inspiration for the iPhone I'm writing this on right now (although I'm glad to not be writing in pseudohieroglyphics using a stylus). I learned how to edit photos and film on the eMac, and in fact, most of my schools had all Apple computer labs. I realize this "credibility statement" probably isn't that important, as my Blogger Stats show about 50% of you reading this right now are using an Apple product too, and probably do so for similar reasons.

My Dad and I have, for some reason or another, never been too close, we never did the typical father-son bonding routines. One of the few things that we did, for a moment at least, really connect on was computers. The only thing that we'd do together with regularity in elementary school was to go to Macworld in San Francisco.

For the less nerdy of you reading, you might not understand why a kid would have any interest on going to a computer convention. It's true, things of this nature are typically dry, boring, and souless, but Macworld was different. Apple thrived on creativity, color, and excitement. It was a lot of fun; grown men and women were as passionate about the products that they made for a living as you could imagine, and as a kid, the excitement and fun was contagious. Corporate functions didn't have to be stuffy and dull, and computers didn't have to be gray. And this was all driven and shaped by Steve Jobs.

Jobs taught me, indirectly, of course, that if you find a passion for something you could make it happen. A start-up company started in a garage by college drop out hackers could grow to epic proportions; David could take on Goliath. He taught the world to think different, that form and function are indistinguishable and effectively the same thing, and that the world that we live in can be radically changed and shaped by good ideas and passion. His spirit, enthusiasm, and creativity has had a tremendous impact on how I've chosen to shape my life, and the lives of the people around me. Today, I'll do my part to step up to the plate so as to someday inspire others to do the same. I'm going to push a little harder today. I'm going to say how I feel with a little more conviction, and I'm going to work a little more at shaping the world into something a little more beautiful. Sometimes punkass kids like us can make a difference.

RIP Steve Jobs, your memory and inspiration lives on in me and my generation. You've shown us that we can do it too. We'll make you proud.

This blog was made 100% on Apple products, all photography, editing, and writing this year has been with my iPhone 4. RIP, sir, you will be missed. A hero of mine for many reasons. 



-Sent from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts